SEARCH CATALOG

Printer-friendly version

Lexington Public Library - Postcard Collection

We hope to have the full postcard collection available online at some point in the future. Please check back with us.

Welcome to the Lexington Public Library’s historical postcard collection. Here you will find images of sites that housed the public library in the past. The original postcards belong to an individual who loaned them to the library to digitize and post here for all to enjoy. Links on this page are to summaries of period newspaper articles in LPL’s Local History Index. The full text of the articles may be viewed on microfilm in the Kentucky Room of the Lexington Public Library.

Lexington’s library is the "Oldest Library West of the Alleghenies". Early in its history the library occupied several buildings which stood at the corner of Church and Market Streets.

Started as a subscription Library, the library became a "free" library in 1898 and reopened to the public after a 3 month renovation project in 1899.

In 1902, Andrew Carnegie offered to build a larger public library for Lexington.

The library was constructed in Gratz Park. The cornerstone of the building in the photographs depicting the Carnegie Library was laid in 1903. The new library was opened to the public in 1905. This building was the home of the library until the current Central Library was constructed in 1989. The Carnegie Building is now the home of the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning.