Book a Librarian
Meet with a professional librarian for one-on-one consultation. Please submit the Book a Librarian Appointment Request Form or call (859) 231-5500 during business hours to schedule an appointment. Appointments are scheduled daily during Library business hours and typically last 30 to 45 minutes. We will contact you for your appointment as quickly as possible.
Please note: We will do our best to honor your Book a Librarian request. However, due to staff expertise and availability, your preferred Library location may be unable to provide assistance on a given topic. In this case, your request may be referred to a different Library location or declined. We appreciate your understanding.
We can help with many kinds of research. Typical requests include:
- Research a topic.
- Test Proctoring: Please include details about your test (online/paper, time limit, proctor involvement, etc.) in your appointment request. We may not be able to proctor every test, and you may be referred to a different branch if your selected location is unable to schedule you.
- Research genealogy and local history using online resources.
- Research genealogy and local history using microfilm and other print records in the Kentucky Room. (Central Library only)
- Learn to download ebooks to your digital device.
- Having trouble with a library app on your device? We can help!
- Learn how to search our grants database. (Central Library only. The database includes only non-profit and individual grants.)
- Get more from the Library's catalog or databases.
- Finding a good read, for you, your children, or your bookgroup. You can also use our Your Next Chapter online service to find your next book.
- Take a tour of the library and learn about the materials and resources we provide - Groups welcomed!
- Job assistance: We offer help with job searching, resume and cover letter writing, and filling out job applications.
- Thematic Units Reader’s Advisory: We can help teachers/child care workers/homeschoolers and parents locate books based on a theme and age range.
Some things we are unable to help with:
- We do not provide medical, legal or business advice or opinions.
- We cannot type or proofread your documents.
- We do not offer technical support or troubleshooting except when it relates to library resources. We can help you find local resources to solve your technology problem.
If you would like help with computer classes or additional job services please use the following links:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who is eligible to make an appointment?
This service is available to all individuals, organizations and businesses.
Where do I go?
Please come to the reference desk for your scheduled consultation.
Who will be helping me?
Your information needs will determine who is best suited to assist you.
How long will the appointment be?
Each appointment will last approximately 30-45 minutes.
What do I do if my appointment is declined?
If your appointment is declined, we will do our best to include other local resources that would be of help to you for your request.
I need to cancel my appointment.
Please call (859) 231-5500 or email your Book a Librarian contact as soon as you can to cancel an appointment. We are happy to reschedule your appointment for a more convenient time.