Where Can I Volunteer?
Feel free to contact any Library location for information on volunteering. You can also fill out an online application and we will contact you about volunteer opportunities.
How Can I Volunteer?
|The Friends of the Library operate a bookstore – Friends
Book Cellar – in the lower level of the Central Library. Money raised by selling books and gifts supports new and ongoing Library programs and services. Help is needed with sorting, shelving, and selling books. Call (859) 231-5505 for more information.
|is a free home delivery service for permanently homebound adults. Volunteers are matched one-on-one with a customer and deliver books on a regular basis. This is a longer-term volunteer commitment for adults over age 21. Call (859) 231-5592 to apply.|
Spellbinder volunteers enchant school children with wonderful stories while supporting school curriculum. Call (859) 231-5511 for information about the next training.
Village Branch Homework Help
Help students with reading, math, social studies, and science assignments. Volunteers need patience, a love of children, flexibility, and the ability to serve 2 hours per week for the duration of the semester.
For more information, call (859) 231-5500.
Resume Assistance at Eagle Creek and Beaumont Branches
Resume Assistance helps patrons with their job quests, from resume creation to cover letter writing, tips about online job applications, and interview protocols. This program pairs skilled volunteers with job seekers for one-on-one guidance. If you think you might be able to spend a few hours a month helping with this vital process, please contact email@example.com at Eagle Creek Branch or firstname.lastname@example.org at Beaumont Branch.
Other opportunities may be available at your local library. Each Lexington Public Library location has a volunteer coordinator.
- Beaumont Branch, (859) 231-5500
- Central Library, (859) 231-5500, ext. 1004
- Eagle Creek Branch, (859) 231-5500
- Northside Branch, (859) 231-5500
- Tates Creek Branch, (859) 231-5500
- Village Branch, (859) 231-5500
- Services, (859) 231-5519
How Do I Apply?
Some things to consider before applying:
- How much time do you want to commit to a volunteer job?
- Do you want to volunteer for a one-time special project or long term?
- What days or hours do you prefer?
- What experience do you have that would prepare you for your volunteer job?
- What are you looking for in your volunteer experience?
Things You Should Have:
- A commitment to your volunteer position
- A positive attitude
- A desire to support and extend library services
In order to begin volunteering with the Lexington Public Library, you will:
- Interview with a volunteer coordinator
- Complete a volunteer application (A parent/guardian must sign the application if the volunteer is under the age of 18.)
- Pass a criminal background check (if 18 or older)
- Sign a Volunteer Commitment Contract (A parent/guardian must sign the contract if the volunteer is under the age of 18.)
- Be placed in a volunteer position
- Complete a volunteer orientation
Complete our online application and we will contact you. If you want to volunteer at a specific Library location, please visit that location and complete a paper volunteer application.
General Volunteer Information
What will I be doing?
Each location has unique needs. Talk to the volunteer coordinator at your location to find out what opportunities are available.
What will I get from this?
- An opportunity to share your talents and skills
- A chance to make new friends
- Satisfaction from knowing that you are helping promote reading and literacy in your community
- Experience you can put on your college, job, or scholarship application