Open Records Requests Policy
The Lexington Public Library allows access to its records, pursuant to KRS 61.870 to 61.884.
Exceptions (per KRS 61.878)
All public records are open for inspection with the exception of:
- Records containing information of a personal nature where a public disclosure would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy;
- Records confidentially disclosed to or required by an agency generally recognized as confidential or proprietary which, if openly disclosed, would permit an unfair commercial advantage to competitors;
- Records pertaining to a prospective location of a business where the library’s interest has not previously been made known;
- The contents of real estate appraisals, engineering or feasibility estimates and evaluations made for the Library relative to acquisition of property, until the property has been acquired;
- Preliminary drafts, notes, correspondence with private individuals, other than correspondence which is intended to give notice of final action of a public agency;
- Preliminary recommendations and memoranda in which opinions are expressed or policies formulated or recommended;
- All public records or information the disclosure of which is prohibited by federal law or regulation or an Attorney General’s Opinion.
The Library response denying, in whole or in part, inspection of any record shall include a statement of the specific exception authorizing the withholding of the record under KRS 61.878 and a brief explanation of how the exception applies to the record withheld. The response shall be issued by the Executive Director or under his or her authority and shall constitute final agency action.
These exceptions shall in no way prohibit or limit the exchange of public records or the sharing of information between public agencies when the exchange is serving a legitimate governmental need or is necessary in the performance of a legitimate government function.
Approved by the Board of Trustees April 13, 2011
Public Record Request Application
To sart a request download and submit this Application for Public Records from Lexington Public Library