The Kentucky Room reference staff will answer requests for information through the mail or through e-mail. However, the staff cannot undertake extensive research or photocopying projects. You may request up to four separate articles, death certificates, etc.
Library staff can respond to only the most specific requests. We cannot compile lineages, determine parentage, locate missing persons, or undertake extensive copying projects from books or microfilm. We will provide a free copy of a list of private researchers who can undertake more extensive research on a fee basis.
Please remember the following about the Kentucky Room collection when using the Kentucky Room genealogy  and local history email service. The collection is strongest in Fayette County materials. It does not include out-of-town newspapers or microfilmed county records for counties other than Fayette. The largest libraries for genealogy  research are located in Frankfort at the Kentucky Historical Society  and the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives .
Examples of appropriate requests:
- Please search for an obituary for my uncle Robert Mitchell who died on April 17, 1945.
- Please search for a cemetery record for my great-grandmother Eliza Mitchell who is buried in Fayette County (date of death is helpful).
- Please check the 1925 city directory for people by the name of Rodes.
- Please check Perrin’s History of Fayette County for biographical information on James Wright.
- Please search for the death certificate for Benjamin Whitaker who died in Kentucky on October 1, 1926.
Examples of research requests we cannot handle:
- Please send me everything you have on the Jackson family in Kentucky.
- Please copy all the obituaries in your newspaper for the names Allen, Bowman, and Reed.
- Please copy all Kentucky census records for the Davis families.
- Please send me lists of Kentucky death certificates.
Mail reference requests must be made in writing and may be directed to:
Kentucky Room Librarian
Lexington Public Library
140 East Main Street
Lexington, Kentucky 40507
Your email request must include your complete name, mailing address and email address. Email requests do not receive preference and will be handled in sequence with requests received via regular mail. Thank you for your cooperation.